Pages

mardi 22 décembre 2015

Q & A » Interview: Lee Binks

Following her GI Jane-style makeover, an amazing physique transformation and some of the most amazing callisthenic workout videos posted on Facebook and YouTube, Lee Binks shot to prominence in the local health and fitness industry.
Her distinctive look, style and personality then made an appearance on the competitive stage, where she has continued to clean up divisions, which has earned her invitations to world championship events around the world, across various federations.
Her inspirational story, which we share here, and her amazing physique also earned her what is sure to be the first of many workout features in Fitness magazine (check out the Bosu ball workout in the July/August 2015 issue).

Q: You've struggled with your health prior to training, what made you set out to challenge and change perceptions about weight training and your health?

I think I simply hit rock bottom as many people tend to do and we realised that something had to give. At the time I was struggling with a heart condition which caused blood flow restriction and I was also recovering from a number of surgeries for cervical cancer.

Q: What were your challenges?

My physical weakness was the most difficult thing to overcome. I weighed only 40kg and was not strong enough to do even the simplest of exercises. My goal then was to be able to do a single pull-up, which at the time was as daunting as anything I had ever attempted. I think that ultimately the biggest challenge for anyone is to overcome the fear of failure, but we all need to learn that falling down is part of the growth process and that you only ever fail when you give up. I now weigh over 53kg and finally have a bottom.

Q: What did you enjoy most about your training when you started?

At first I think it was small victories – lifting one kilogram more or doing one more push-up. It also gave me more time to spend with my boyfriend in the gym which was a big factor in my progress I think. Having someone to push you and who believes in you is invaluable.

Q: Any words of advice for readers who might face similar challenges?

Challenge yourself. Challenge your thinking. You are so much stronger than you know. Whether you think you can or you can't you are right.

Q: Why did you decide to compete on stage?

Three months into my training someone asked if I competed. I didn't really know what to think of that idea as I'm very shy and the idea of being critiqued on stage was probably the furthest thing from my mind at the time. However, my boyfriend and I discussed it and agreed that it would be good for me to try and overcome my fear of crowds. My first show was the NABBA Jozi classic and the rest, as they say, is history.

Q: What are some of your other major achievements?

2014:
3rd place Bikini @ Nabba Jozi Classic 2014
1st place Toned Bikini division @ WPF Regionals 20142nd place Figure division @ WPF Nationals 2014Invited to compete in the WPF World Championships Slovenia 2014.1st place Miss Body Beautiful Fitness @ Body Beautiful 2014
20151st place Miss Toned Bikini Extreme Bodies Champion @ Easter Rossi 20151st place Miss Fitness @ IBFF National Launch 2015Invited to compete in IBFF World Championships Slovenia 20152nd place Fitness Bikini u/1.65m @ NABBA Pretoria Classic 2015Invited to compete at Nabba World Championships in France 20152nd place Toned Bikini u/1.65m @ Rossi Grand Prix 2015Top 5 in Fitness Diva u/1.62m @ WBFF Spectacular 2015

Q: What does your current training structure look like?

My training isn't as structured as that of other athletes. We work on areas where we feel I need to improve. As a result it changes a lot from week to week but I perform a lot of bodyweight exercises and resistance training, I've started using weights a little more for targeting certain muscle groups but ultimately I still always come back to calisthenics and other activities that allow me to use my body, such as martial arts, kayaking or rock climbing.

Q: Does your training change when you're busy prepping for a competition?

Not really. I may increase the intensity of my workouts but the core remains the same. I don't suddenly start doing a set of new exercises or a whole lot of cardio or anything.

Q: How do you structure your nutrition? Do you have an off and on-season diet? Do you eat more calories than the norm to ensure muscle gain?

My aim is to eat as healthily as possible. Right now I am trying to gain muscle so I'm eating more than I usually do, but we still keep my diet clean and try to avoid unhealthy foods wherever possible. We don't really believe in an off-season and in-season approach. I try to eat healthily all the time and don't change my diet too drastically based on an upcoming competition as we feel that it is probably not the healthiest option for me.

Q: What are your top tips for adding muscle in terms of training and nutrition?

In terms of nutrition I think we can all agree that your body needs fuel to grow, but it needs the right kinds of fuel. Some people do a bulking phase where they get fat and then try to 'convert' the fat to muscle later on. I don't really agree with that school of thought, although that approach has worked for a lot of people. I feel that swinging from one extreme to the other in terms of weight isn't the best thing for your body in the long run, but I could be wrong.
In terms of training I think that you need to push your boundaries all the time. If you're not moving forward you will probably end up moving backwards. There is no static state. If you want more muscle you need to create the need in your body to build more of it, and mediocre efforts just don't cut it. You need to challenge yourself and push your limits. That's half the fun of it.

Q: What do you do for a living and how do you structure your life around training?

I'm a make-up artist so I spend a lot of time running between film sets and photo shoots. We structure my training by making it the first priority and then adding everything else around that. If I need to be on set at 06:00am then that means I need to be in the gym at 04:00am. It's an important part of my routine and we make sure that, if nothing else, I make time to train. Ultimately that was one of the things that resulted in us building our little Dragon's Lair gym, so that I could train whenever I had time. It gives me the flexibility in my schedule, which my profession demands.

Q: Anything else worth mentioning?

I like to train with my boyfriend. He is my training partner. We train together and build home gym equipment together.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire